- West Virginia University College of Law (J.D. 1992)
Order of the Coif
Associate Editor, West Virginia Law Review
- West Virginia University (B.A., Political Science, 1985)
- Wheeling Park High School
- April 2012 – present – Senior Counsel, Casey & Chapman, PLLC
- July 1998 – April 2012 – Member/Shareholder, Schrader, Byrd and Companion, PLLC
- July 1997 – June 1998 – Partner, Schrader, Byrd, Companion & Gurley
- August 1992 – June 1997 – Associate, Schrader, Byrd, Byrum, Companion & Gurley
- June 1990 – August 1991 – Summer Associate (Law Clerk), Schrader, Stamp, Byrd, Byrum & Companion
- 2001 – Appointed by the Honorable Frederick P. Stamp, Jr., Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia, as member of committee to recommend appointment of new federal Magistrate Judge (John S. Kaull)
Professional Organizations and Affiliations
- Admitted and member in good standing:
West Virginia State Bar (October 1992)
Ohio State Bar (June 2012)
- United States District Court, Northern District of West Virginia
- United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Married to Diane Marie (Yahn) Coleman since May 1993
- Father of five children: Mary, David, Sarah, Leah and Anna
- Member, Catholic Charities Neighborhood Center Advisory Council, 2015-present
- Board of Directors, West Virginia Northern Panhandle Head Start, appointed 2012-2015
- Co-chairman, Wheeling Catholic Neighborhood Center fund raising committee since 2003
- Active member, St. Michael Catholic Church
Summary of Experience
- Trial attorney with extensive courtroom experience representing individuals and businesses in a variety of litigation settings, including personal injury, professional malpractice, contract, construction, oil and gas, warranty claims and other commercial disputes.
- Skilled at managing cases from initial client contact, to pleadings, discovery, trial and appeal.
- Excellent brief writing skills.
- Areas of expertise include personal injury law (plaintiff and defendant); medical malpractice, legal malpractice, and other professional malpractice; real property disputes; construction litigation and arbitration; warranty claims; drafting and negotiating contracts; and coal and natural gas contracts and disputes.