- Born and raised in Rising Sun, Indiana
- Married with three children
- Rising Sun High School, Rising Sun, Indiana
- Hanover College, B.A., magna cum laude
- West Virginia University, M.A. in Health Education
- West Virginia University College of Law, J.D. (1983)
Related Experience and Honors
- “AV Preeminent” Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Immediate Past President of the West Virginia Bar Association
- Board of Directors, West Virginia Bar Foundation
- Adjunct Faculty, Wheeling University undergraduate program
- Adjunct Faculty, Wheeling University graduate program
- Selected as Lawyer & Leader 2019
- Served on West Virginia Board of Education — 9-year appointment by Governor Gaston Caperton, held all offices, twice served as president, chaired search for State Superintendent of Schools
- Served on West Virginia School Building Authority — representing West Virginia Board of Education
- Leadership West Virginia — alumnus and presenter
- Presenter at various West Virginia State Bar seminars — mediation trainings and annual meeting
- Served on West Virginia Secondary Schools Activities Commission — designee/representative of the State Superintendent of Schools
- Served on West Virginia State Bar Board of Governors, held all offices and 2009 – 2010 served as President of the West Virginia State Bar
- Served on Independent Commission on Judicial Reform and advisory committee to the Governor pertaining to judicial appointments, appointed by Governor Joe Manchin, III
- Hanover College Alumni Achievement Award 2013
- Member, National Conference of Bar Presidents and its Executive Council
- Member, Southern Conference of Bar Presidents
- Member, American Bar Association House of Delegates 2010 – 2011
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, West Virginia Bar Foundation
- Member, West Virginia State Bar
- Member, West Virginia Bar Association and its Executive Council
- Member, Ohio County Bar Association
- Law Clerk, Honorable Richard Neely, Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Current Chair of the Viennese Winter Ball Committee
- Emeritus Member, Wheeling Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors
- Past Member and President of the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors
- Past Member of the Board, West Liberty University (appointed 2013 by Governor Earl Ray Tomblin)
Summary of Experience
Since admission to practice in West Virginia’s state and federal courts, Ms. Chapman has focused her practice in litigation. She has trained and lectured in mediation and other legal topics. She has extensive experience in the defense of mass tort claims, premises owner and manufacturer, as well as personal injury litigation such as motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, professional liability and medical malpractice. Ms. Chapman focuses her practice on the investigation, discovery and motion phases of litigation as well as contract and other document drafting and fine details.
A recent major case of particular note was a will contest with related estate challenges; the firm succeeded in a complete win prior to trial.
Like all attorneys in the firm, Ms. Chapman has enjoyed selected work on behalf of Plaintiffs including gender discrimination, sexual harassment, and race discrimination. She enjoys handling contract negotiations and document details including mergers and acquisitions.
Ms. Chapman has extensive experience in education and administrative law. She is a founding member of the West Virginia Council of School Attorneys and represented a county board of education in various matters including administrative and other litigation, prior to her appointment to the West Virginia Board of Education in 1996.
Ms. Chapman’s appointment was made by Governor Gaston Caperton and she served a full (nine-year) term. While serving on the nine-member Board, she served as a representative to the West Virginia School Building Authority, and held all offices of the State Board including two terms as president. As immediate past president she was named chair of the search committee for the hiring of a new State Superintendent of Schools. Ms. Chapman is proud to have led State Board initiatives in the areas of bullying/harassment, including the drafting of student and staff Codes of Conduct, and the statewide Grammar Initiative. Ms. Chapman interfaced with other branches of state government including the education committees of both chambers of the West Virginia Legislature and the executive branch.
Ms. Chapman has served as the State Superintendent’s sole representative on the West Virginia Secondary Schools Activities Commission. As a member of the WVSSAC, Ms. Chapman participated in policy decisions as well as the hearing of appeals from the decisions of the Executive Director concerning eligibility.
Ms. Chapman has taught at West Virginia Northern Community College in classes ranging from business law to office communications. Ms. Chapman serves as an adjunct professor at Wheeling University in both the undergraduate and the graduate programs.
Ms. Chapman is a past President of the West Virginia State Bar. As an officer of the State Bar, she sat on the Visiting Committee of the West Virginia University College of Law. She is a member of the National Conference of Bar Presidents and the Southern Conference of Bar Presidents and served on the Executive Council of the National Conference of Bar Presidents.
Ms. Chapman has served on the Board of the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra and is an Emeritus member. She is an American Bar Foundation Fellow and a West Virginia Bar Foundation Fellow. She serves on the Executive Council of the West Virginia Bar Association and is the President.